Discovery Learning Preschool
ISD 728’s Discovery Learning Preschool 2013/14
Choosing the right preschool program is essential for giving your child the tools needed to be successful in school and in life. Discovery Learning Preschool, offered through District 728 Early Childhood Family Education, is a highly recognized and sought-after program to attend. Professionally trained, caring teachers customize preschool experiences for your child in a safe environment. Conveniently offered in Elk River, Rogers and Zimmerman with a variety of daytime and evening programming, Discovery Learning Preschool is sure to fit your child’s needs. Classes are offered September through May. Registration is about to begin for all fall 2013 preschool classes.
Fall 2013 Open Classes: #750 am 3s Elk River, #755 afternoon 4s Elk River, #757 late pm 4s Elk River.
Fall 2013 Full Classes: #760 am 3s Rogers, #761 am 4s Rogers, #762 pm 4s Rogers, #770 am 3s Zimmerman, #771 am 4s Zimmerman, #773 pm 4s Zimmerman, #753 am 4s Elk River, #754 am 4s Elk River, #758 evening 4s Elk River.
(please contact the ECFE office to be added to a waiting list for these classes.)
We welcome any questions you may have! Please contact our ECFE office at 763-241-3524 if we can be of assistance, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Discovery Learning is a program of ISD 728 Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) & School Readiness (SR).
NEW! Click on the above link for online registrations forms for all Discovery Learning Preschool classes. Before completing, please check the information on this page regarding class openings, or call the office at 763 241-3524 for openings. You may also want to consult the full brochure (click on the picture link below to download) for other pertinent class information. Please allow approximately 15 minutes for online form completion. You will receive confirmation from the ECFE office when we have received and processed your online registration. You may also register by downloading the brochure, printing and completing the forms, and turning them in to the ECFE office. Please remember, children must be age eligible by September 1, 2013.
Comprehensive Curriculums Embedded in Each Class
Discovery Learning Preschool has revolutionized their curriculum and embedded core fundamentals in each of their classrooms.
• Building Blocks Math Curiculum: A research-based curriculum that includes a computer used in the classroom and at home.
• EZ Write Handwriting Curriculum: This program matches the ISD 728 K-5 program to ensuring continuity upon Kindergarten entry.
• Pyramid Model (TACSEI) Curriculum: Centers on supporting children and families by building social-emotional skills and build social emotional skills for life for all children. Provides support and development of new skills when there are behavior concerns.
• Minnesota Reading Corps Curriculum: Minnesota Reading Corps staff work within the classroom where specific reading skills are assessed and taught throughout the year. One-on-one and small group activities are built into the student’s day.
• Child Development Curriculum: Observation and note taking are used to look at the whole child in four areas of development: Cognitive, Social-Emotional, Physical and Language. Growth and development are assessed throughout the year.
• LANA Nutrition Curriculum: This curriculum concentrates on serving healthy snacks, introducing nutritional choices and recognizing children with allergies and diet alterations by adjusting snacks to meet their needs.
• Overall: Opportunities for learning are provided through individual and group times. Literacy, mathematics, science, social studies, the arts, technology and process skills are part of the program curriculum.
Highly Trained Staff
Of utmost importance to parents, is the relationship their child has with their teacher. With Discovery Learning Preschool, not only do you receive highly trained staff members, you also receive warm, caring adults committed to your child’s success. Staff is trained in child development, CPR, First Aid, cultural diversity and continuous professional development throughout the school year. In addition, they are experienced, dedicated and truly love their work.
When looking for the right location for your child’s preschool, be sure to consider the convenience of Discovery Learning Preschool. Class locations cover all ends of the school district and are conveniently located at Zimmerman Elementary, Rogers Elementary and The Handke Center in Elk River. There are several important components to our program:
• 60 minutes of choice time in an environment planned for learning
• Outdoor or gym time •Small group time •Circle time •Snack time
• Learning centers include blocks, dramatic play, toys and games, art, library, discovery, sand and water, music and movement, cooking, computers and outdoors.
• Many opportunities for large motor activities exist with access to a gym, riding bikes and playgrounds.
• The Nature Classroom (Elk River location) is a learning environment outside the traditional classroom walls that enhance the overall preschool experience.
Safety is Top Priority
Your child’s safety is of utmost importance to us. At all three locations, regular safety drills are conducted, classroom doors are locked, teachers use walkie-talkies on the playground, and there is access to district health services department.
Customization To Meet Your Child’s Needs
As we know, each child is special and unique in their own way and Discovery Learning can enhance each child’s experience to meet their needs.
• Gifted and Talented - Discovery Learning enhances and enriches the curriculum in order to engage and challenge children who are ready for more.
• Many classrooms provide inclusion opportunities for children with special needs and are co-taught with staff from Early Childhood Special Education.
• Different learning styles are used through out the day: large group, small group, individual lessons, hands-on learning as well as different materials.
• Response to Intervention (RTI) is used in a combination of high quality, culturally and linguistically responsive instruction; assessment; and evidence-based intervention.
Parent Education and Involvement
Core to our program is parent education. A professional and highly trained Parent Educator is assigned to each classroom. The Parent Ed component focuses on not just the child’s experience in preschool, but the family as a whole. Parent days are offered where parents and
/or grandparents can interact and experience school with their children together. Parent involvement is also key. There are many ways parents can be involved such as volunteering to prepare materials, working at the Book Fair or joining our Parent Advisory Council.
Technology continues to evolve and is a key component in the Discovery Learning Program. Each teacher has their own classroom website where families can access information, tips, blogs, newsletters and more at a click of a button. In addition, the math curriculum utilized within the program uses computers in the classroom and at home.